I like a bit of modularity in building, so I used the Custom Stuff 4 mod to add some things that I would like and use to the game. The additions in this mod are meant to be "resourcepack-friendly", meaning switching to a resource pack that makes changes to fences and planks will automatically convert the textures used on the blocks in this mod.
- Railings: An alternative to fences meant to look better within in-door structures.
- Checkered Multiplanks: Checker Pattern permutations for planks. Crafted with 4 slabs (2 of each type of wood) in a checker pattern. Can also be crafted into the opposite colors by placing the checkered multiplanks back into the crafting table.
- Multiwood Fence: Fence permutations. Texture of end post and the bars between the posts depends on the crafting material. Can be crafted with the various planks and slabs (since slabs are the same plank ratio as sticks).
- Multislab Horizontal: Double Slab permutations. Texture is based on the slabs used in the crafting recipe. Only half of the permutations are craftable because Vertical orientation can be changed based on the face of the block you're placing against. Crafted with slabs on top of one another.
- Multislab Vertical: Double Slab permutations, but vertical. Texture is based on the slabs used in the crafting recipe. Only half of the permutations are craftable because Horizontal orientation can be changed based on the angle in which you place the block. Works like furnaces, in that it faces you when placed. Crafted with slabs next to one another.
- Multiplank Stairs: Stair permutations between the main stairs and the bottom-back of the stairs. Craft 2 at a time instead of 4, due to the full recipe looking funny and not making much sense.
Feel free to dissect it for the sake of learning to use CS4.
The resource pack used as an example in the images section is Quadral by Ignaf.
Using no textures required new block models. The model-maker I used for this was Blockbench.