.. is a Minecraft mod which adds backpacks. But wait! It's not like anything you've seen before. Wearable Backpacks continues the legacy of BetterStorage's backpacks, and brings with it a beautifully designed and balanced alternative backpack option unlike any other!
"Backpacks are love. Backpacks are life." -asiekierka
There can be only one!
Other mods allow you to carry multiple backpacks in your inventory. WBs doesn't. This design, as well as the resulting implementation has been carried over from its predecessor. But what the mod is lacking in convenience, it's trying to make up in charm and configurability.
Armor up, or storage up?
With the default settings, backpacks will function as armor, taking up the chest armor equipment slot, protecting from as well as taking damage just like leather armor. This way, you have to choose between more protection or more storage. This can be turned off though, in case you don't like it.
Play with friends, share backpacks!
Having a backpack on your back looks cool and all, but if only you could do something with that beauty. Well, lucky you! Other players (hopefully, without ill intentions) can open your backpack and borrow a pick and some torches on a mining trip. This of course only works as long as your back is facing towards them.
Dying is FUN!
Sick of losing all your valuables when you make a small little misstep into the nearest pool of lava? Don't worry, the items inside your backpack will be... mostly safe. While the backpack itself is not immune to explosions or being broken by other players, after death it will gently place itself down near your point of failure, ready to be retrieved.
Dyeing is fun~!
Backpacks can be colored using Minecraft's fantastic dyeing system. Unlike some silly mods that only allow the 16 base colors, with our pretties you can mix and match your dyes to customize them in any way you like!
Not sure if WBs will fit your play style? Don't worry! This mod is meant to be incredibly configurable with its easy-to-use ingame config menu. This allows backpacks to be balanced, regardless of whether they're used in a personal hand-picked pack, a huge kitchen sink modpack or a deadly hardcore-massacre-of-doom experience with sprinkles on top.
Think of Wearable Backpacks backpacks as portable, wearable chests. After you've crafted one, simply place it on the ground and fill it with whatever you'd like to take with you. Next, sneak and break the backpack to equip it. You'll notice that equipping is faster than breaking.
Now that the backpack is where it belongs (your back), you can unequip it again by sneaking and right-clicking the ground with an empty hand (specifically, the top of a solid block).
By turning on a config option, it's also possible to open the backpack using a keybind, which you can find in the controls menu (default:
- 7x Leather
- 1x Gold Ingot
- 1x Wool
- As already mentioned above, this mod has many, easy to use configuration options. Simply click Mods in the main menu or Mod Options ingame, search for "Wearable Backpacks" and click the Config button.
- When backpacks are equipped as armor, they may also be enchanted just like armor. (This feature is missing from 1.10 due to missing enchantment hooks in Forge.)
- Some mobs may rarely spawn with backpacks equipped, containing random loot.
Wearable Backpacks is licensed under the MIT license, though feel free to consider it public domain. This applies to both the source code and releases, so you are free to redistribute, include in modpacks, modify, fork, release your own versions of this mod as much as you'd like.
- Custom backpack size can be set using NBT tag
- Custom armor value can be set using NBT tag
- Default backpack loot table
wearablebackpacks:backpack/defaultcan be overridden.
- Backpack spawn settings can be modified: Edit chance, loot table and color.
- Custom entities can be configured to spawn with backpacks!
In the order of their pull requests being submitted, here are the lovely people who provided their translation superpowers to make WBs available in other languages:
- German (de_DE): Vexatos
- Chinese (zh_CN): 3TUSK
- Dutch (nl_NL): TDarkShadow
- Russian (ru_RU): kirill3345, dangranos, raspopov
- Korean (ko_KR): tinywolf3
- Portuguese (pt_BR): wenlfs, eduardogomesv
- Spanish (es_MX): Dorzar
- Italian (it_IT): Insane-96
- Danish (da_DK): Zerotiger
- Slovenian (sl_SI): SFort
- asiekierka for being an amazing friend in general, letting me use Charset as a reference and updating the mod to 1.11, so he's getting a co-author mention. ❤
- The Penguins' Retreat server for encouraging me to rework / finish this mod.
Feature requests and bug reports belong on the issue tracker. For general inqueries, discussions and praise, you can contact copygirl directly at Twitter (@koppeh) or via email, but you're also very welcome to join our little community's IRC channel (#obsidian on Esper.net) and Discord guild.
In the event that this mod becomes self-aware, we are not responsible for any damage it causes.