This mod adds rendering support for the new skin format introduced in minecraft 1.8.
Now you can use your new fancy skin in 1.7.10!
If you want offline skins for 1.8 and above, check OfflineSkins.
If your Alex type skins are not recognized by this mod, please try Et Futurum Requiem.
1. 1.8 skin format rendering support!
2. 1.8 skin customization support! find it in the options menu, translations is generated from 1.8 assets. (the change will not be visible to others if the server didn't install the mod)
3. offline skin support. (it will not work automatically though, you need to add your skin file in the generated folder (.minecraft/cachedImages/skins), and named after your username, ends with .png)
4. api for other mod to interact with.
It is a little different from 1.8 though:
1. alex/slim model will be applied only if the pixel(position of 55, 20) in the skin file is fully transparent, and it is in the new skin format(64x64).
2. held items in 3rd person is different from 1.8, because 1.8 changed the rendering, and I didn't do that.
3. the network protocol used for skin customization is different from 1.8, means it will only take effect in 1.7.10 forge server with this mod installed, and 1.8 people won't see the change. but yourself should always be able to see the change.
4. it is 1.7.10, other people without the mod will see your skin normally, means they won't see the extra layer.
Compatibility with other mod: not tested, but this mod is open source, you can ask other mod author to support it. since 1.7.10-v4, it should be compatible with SmartMoving and RenderPlayerAPI.
Note: this mod will only be available in 1.7.10.
Why create this mod: because most mods will skip 1.8, and I don't know when forge will support 1.9 or so. Well, move on.