Unlike many other minimap mods, Xaero's minimap keeps the aesthetic of vanilla Minecraft which might even make you forget that it was a mod in the first place. It's also the first rotating square minimap for Minecraft. There is a toggle to make it lock north and not rotate (the arrow approach). There are 2 mod editions, full and fair-play (designed for fair PVP). You can place waypoints. The minimap also displays entities, such as players, mobs and items.
You are allowed to make videos using this mod. Using it in your modpacks is ALLOWED as long as a link to one of my mod pages is provided and you do not profit from it (Curse modpacks are OK though). I'm very likely to make an exception for commercial use if you contact me!
- Aesthetic and look of vanilla Minecraft.
- Runs smoother than most minimap mods.
- 2 mod editions: full and fair-play. Full version does not have any limits. Fair-play version does not display any entities or cave maps which is more suitable for public PVP servers, where you play against people who don't use a minimap.
- 2 colour modes: Vanilla, which uses the colours of vanilla Minecraft maps and Accurate, which uses the colours of block textures.
- Terrain texture customization.
- Compatible with Xaero's World Map and can use the chunks loaded by the world map instead of it's own, which improves performance.
- Option to limit your Minimap usage by binding it to an item that you'll need to have in your hotbar in order for the minimap show up. For example, add minimapItemId:minecraft:compass anywhere in the config file to bind it to compass.
- Translated to a lot of languages.
- Ability to lock north to stop the minimap from rotating and instead display the direction of your character with an arrow.
- Works both above and under ground with automatic cave maps.
- Togglable chunk grid.
- Togglable slime chunks mode.
- Waypoints. Infinite amount. Can be teleported to (permission for teleportation chat command needed). Press B to create a new waypoint. Press U to list all the waypoints.
- Multiworld detection in multiplayer. However, it is recommended to turn it off for servers that only have a single "world". You can do it through the Waypoints Menu (press U) -> Options screen.
- In-game waypoints. Not only are waypoints visible on the minimap but also in the in-game world. Either type can be disabled to fit your preference.
- Deathpoints. An automatic waypoint is created on each death.
- Displays mobs on the map as yellow dots. Customizable in the settings. Hostile and friendly mobs can be coloured differently.
- Displays players on the map as white dots or player heads. Customizable in the settings.
- Displays items on the map as red dots. Customizable in the settings.
- Displays all the other entities such as arrows and item frames as purple dots. Customizable in the settings. Different types of entities can be disabled in the settings.
- Zoom in and out key bindings (I and O by default) to efficiently change the zoom level to fit your preference or use case.
- Coordinates under the minimap.
- Current biome under the minimap. Disabled by default and needs to be enabled in the mod settings (press Y).
- Light level under the minimap. Also disabled by default and needs to be enabled in the mod settings (press Y).
- Configurable settings. Lots of options, from minimap size to entity amount. Too many to list them all here. Press Y in-game to open the settings.
- Edit mode which lets you move the minimap anywhere on the screen or use one of the presets: top-right, top-left, bottom-right and bottom-left.
- Compatible with the Better PVP Plugin for Bukkit/Spigot servers, although the plugin is quite outdated.
How to install the Fabric version:
- Download and install the Fabric Loader.
- Download Fabric API and put it in the "mods" folder in the Minecraft game directory.
- Download the Fabric version of the minimap mod for your Minecraft version and put it in the mods folder.
- Start the Fabric game "installation" using the Minecraft launcher.
Your waypoints are no longer shown for a specific server?
Do not panic. It's almost certainly not actually deleted (this has never happened as far as I know). One of the most common reasons for this is the incorrect usage of the world map mod in multiplayer (since version 1.6). If you're using the manual map selection (which is the default), make sure you select the correct map for your current world before confirming it. It affects which waypoints are being shown to you. Consider changing map selection mode to one of the automatic ones, if it fits the server you're playing on. The setting for that is on the map selection screen, which is on the world map screen (bottom left icon).
Not using the world map mod? Then it's likely caused by a server plugin changing the behavior of the vanilla compass item and interfering with the mod's "multiworld" detection. In most such cases the compass item points to your bed instead of the global spawn point. Sleeping in the right bed again should bring everything back for you if sleeping in another one was the cause of the waypoints disappearing.
If this happened because of a new plugin being added (and if removing it is not an option for you), then here's how you can restore your waypoints:
1. Find the right waypoints "sub-world" from the top-right dropdown menu in the waypoints screen, it's the one with the waypoints that you need in your current dimension. Perhaps start with overworld?
2. Use Options -> Make sub-world auto.
3. Do the same for every dimension (enter the dimensions before doing it!).
4. If it's a simple server with 1 world (no hub/lobby worlds, no minigame worlds, creative plot worlds etc), then also turn off "Multiworld Detection" in the same Options menu. You can turn it back on later if you ever need it.
Contact me if you have questions!
Try my new Android game if interested!
You can support me on Patreon: