"The Road goes ever ever on down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can." - Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring
Notice - Legacy and Renewed
This page is for the 1.7.10 (Legacy) version of the mod, which is no longer receiving major updates. Renewed is a work-in-progress port of the mod to newer Minecraft versions, with major system rewrites and several new features, and updates released frequently.
Development of major updates will continue once Renewed is complete. For now, Legacy will be maintained with bugfixes and minor changes & additions.
Nonetheless, the Legacy version remains fully playable, with an active community - follow the links below to meet them!
26th May, 2021
Current version: Update 36.11 for Minecraft 1.7.10
(This problem does not occur in newer versions of Minecraft)
About the mod
The Lord of the Rings Mod is a huge expansion for Minecraft that aims to add the world of Middle-earth into the game. This will include content from J.R.R. Tolkien's most famous work, The Lord of the Rings, and from other related tales such as The Hobbit and The Silmarillion.
The official wiki is the place to go if you want to learn about the mod and its contents, or find a server to play on. You can also talk about the mod, report bugs, and discuss all sort of things on the mod's Discord server.
The main features in the mod so far are:
- A new Middle-earth dimension
- Over 100 new biomes, sub-biomes, and biome variants, each with their own unique structures and resources
- Biomes are generated in accordance with Tolkien's map of Middle-earth
- The mysterious, unexplored lands of Rhûn and Harad
- The ancient Pits of Utumno, a terrifying dungeon dimension full of Morgoth's evil creatures
- Hundreds of new blocks, weapons, armours, foods, and items
- People and races from the Lord of the Rings world
- An alignment system where your actions can improve or harm your reputation with many independent factions
- New gameplay elements dependent on the player's alignment: trading, unit hiring, and an expanded achievement system
- Randomly generated Mini-Quests, and the Red Book to record them
- A system of modifiers for customising and upgrading your weapons, tools, and armour
- Seamless multiplayer integration in all areas of the mod
And some of the main planned features still to come in future updates:
- Even more blocks, items, and factions from Middle-earth
- Larger, pre-written quests, ranging from minor 'side quests' to epic adventures
- New types of mini-quests
- Characters and places from the Lord of the Rings storyline
- More boss battles
- Ring-forging, siege weapons, and a 'redstone alternative' for Middle-earth
- Other realms... The Undying Lands? First Age Beleriand? Númenor?
For a more in-depth and comprehensive summary of the mod's features, please see this Mod Overview article on the mod's wiki. Also check out the Middle-earth Gameplay Guide, and the Building Tips page if you are so inclined.
(There are, besides those linked above, many other useful guides and articles on the wiki which I have not listed here - go and have a look!)
Requirements & Technical Stuff
This mod contains a version checker.
- Installation guides
- Report bugs on the #bug-reports Discord channel. Post crash reports and logs!
- General technical support is also available there.
Companion mods: (developed by The_Ranger_Malvegil)
Warning: If you are running the mod on a Cauldron (MCPC+) server, you may experience unexpected bugs, crashes or other failures that are not the fault of this mod. Please read here for an explanation of why this can happen.
Downloads for older versions:
- (Warning: Older versions may contain old bugs which have since been fixed. Use at your own risk.)
- These can be found at the updates page on the wiki.
For more information on the mod, including the in-progress Renewed version, visit the mod's official wiki. Anyone can edit the wiki to help document the mod.
Join the community Discord server to discuss the mod with other fans, alongside a hefty helping of Tolkien lore, plenty of building showcases, and a smattering of linguistics!
Renewed development progress and previews of updates are posted on the mod's official Facebook page.
The mod recommends Akliz (hosts of the Official Server since 2015!) for your modded server hosting. They offer state-of-the-art hardware at good value, quick and easy setup, and extremely fast and helpful customer support!
Click the Akliz banner below to find out more: