The Lord of the Rings Mod: Renewed
"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish" - Samwise Gamgee, The Fellowship of the Ring
24th February 2022 - now with brand-new Wargs!
Current version: Renewed-5.5 for Minecraft 1.16.5
The Lord of the Rings Mod is a huge expansion for Minecraft that adds the world of J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth into the game, including content from his magnum opus, The Lord of the Rings, and from other related tales such as The Hobbit and The Silmarillion.
Renewed is a work-in-progress port to 1.16 of the original mod for 1.7.10, which is one of the most extensive mods ever created, beloved by Tolkien fans and Minecrafters alike. We have a close-knit and dedicated community, and now after many years we're updating to a modern Minecraft version to give the mod a fresh experience!
With features like:
- a new dimension that generates following the map of Middle-earth (with 100+ biomes)
- over a thousand new blocks and items, including faction block sets
- many new trees, flowers, and custom-modelled fallen leaves
- a night skybox, more pleasant rain, and the northern lights of Forodwaith
- custom crafting and smelting stations
- vertical slabs, wood slabs/stairs/branches, and multiblock gates
- an expanded melee combat system, featuring weapon types with different speed and reach
- a fun drinks-brewing system
- map waypoints and fast travel
- custom waypoints as 'multiblock structures'
- generated roads that go ever on and on
- NPCs from various Middle-earth factions
- a bespoke conditional speech engine which provides NPC speech lines by taking their environment into account
- caracals (floppa cats),
the Renewed mod is already an adventure in its own right, but there's a lot still to come from the 1.7.10 version. Over the coming months we will be porting an extensive factions system, where your actions can earn or lose you alignment with many different groups; hundreds more NPCs and structures; the lands of Harad and Rhûn; mini-quests, loads of new weapons and armour, multiplayer features such as banner protection, and much, much more!
Renewed benefits greatly from datapacks - in the current version, not only are crafting, smelting, and keg-brewing recipes configurable, but the map generation can be fully customised via datapack, changing the scale of the world and even generating a completely different map based on your own .png image. You can customise the map's fast travel waypoints - renaming or moving them, or adding entirely new ones. Roads, too, are defined in data files, allowing you to change their routes or add new ones. NPCs' faction alignments can be customised, as can their alignment values. Going forward, we aim to make even more of the favourite mod features customisable in this way, all shaped to your liking as though you stood among the Valar themselves.
Requirements & Technical Stuff
- Installation guides
- Report bugs on the #bug-reports Discord channel. Post crash reports and logs!
- General technical support is also available there.
- LOTR JEI module by The_Ranger_Malvegil
For more information on Renewed and the Legacy 1.7.10 mod (which remains fully playable, with an active community), visit the mod's official wiki. Anyone can edit the wiki to help document the mod.
Join the community Discord server to discuss the mod with other fans, alongside a hefty helping of Tolkien lore, plenty of building showcases, and a smattering of linguistics!
Development progress and previews of updates are posted on the mod's official Facebook page.
The mod recommends Akliz (hosts of the Official Server since 2015!) for your Minecraft server hosting. They offer state-of-the-art hardware at good value, quick and easy setup, and extremely fast and helpful customer support!
Click the Akliz banner below to find out more: