This mod adds musical instruments that allow you to play music in MML format. This is a format already used in some popular online games so there are many tunes available or you can create your own. You can play solo or in groups of up to eight players.
If you experience a crash, PLEASE open an issue and include crash logs.
Upcoming Additions and Changes
- WIP: For MAP MAKERS: Per Chunk/Area MML based background music system
- A personal MML player with tune management and play lists.
Minecraft WIP Mods post: mxTune - a music mod that lets you play MML files
Development Blog: mxTune - a music mod for minecraft forge
I've released a 1.7.10 version named mcJammer. It is the precursor to mxTune but it's very far behind in terms of features. There are no recipes for any of the items for the mcJammer version.
mxTune Spotlight by LeKoopa
Demo of the new MML Simple Editor Dialog
1.12.2-0.8.0-beta.10+ version Recipes
Pre 1.12.2-0.8.0-beta.10 Recipes.
How to use it
Grab some Music Paper from Creative mode or craft it from four pieces of paper and one ink sack.
Hold the Music Paper in your main hand and right click air to open the dialog. If you hold an entire stack you will create a stack of the same piece of music. Enter a title in the upper text box and paste or type well formed MML into the center text box. The Done button will not activate if the MML entered does not contain a proper header "MML@" and and ending semi-colon ";". The MML is parsed in real time and it cannot be saved it there are errors. Errors will be displayed in red. Click on an error and the cursor in the editor will move to the error. If the MML parses without error the Play button on the left can be used to play the MML. A choice of instruments is listed on the left.
GUI appearance depends on the version you are using.
Click OK and the item changes into a piece of Sheet Music.
To play the enclosed MML, the Sheet Music must be placed into the inventory of an instrument. Hold an instrument, then SNEAK and Right Click. Place the Sheet Music into the slot and close the inventory.
To play the instrument, hold it in your main hand and simply Right Click to activate. While playing you will be unable to move. If you want to stop playing you can press the ESC key. While holding an instrument the HUD will display the title and status in the upper left hand corner of the screen. This is currently hardcoded, but I intend to make if possible to configure the HUD layout.
Piano Interactions. The piano does not have a inventory GUI like the handheld instrument. Once it's placed into the world it works like this
- To place Sheet Music on the Piano Rack, hold a piece of Sheet Music in your main hand and right click the the piano.
- To sit at the piano, right click it with your main hand. Note you can't sit at a piano unless there is a piece of Sheet Music on the rack. To dismount press the left shift key. To REMOVE a piece of Sheet Music SNEAK and right click the piano.
- To play the piano there must be Sheet Music on the rack and your must be sitting at the piano, then right click the piano to begin playing.
This is going to be a bit buggy since I just added this new block instrument recently. It made me realize I need to review the current system and refactor it to make it cleaner. There are blatant holes in various interactions. See if you can find them.
Latest development release - Mute Options added. Currently on the "P" keybind.
Intended for multiplayer mode of course. At the moment players must be online for you to move them to the desired list.
Here's a run down of the Mute options (Changes with each click of the button):
- Mute Off - You can hear everything.
- Mute Others - Just hear yourself. Others can still hear you though. You can't JOIN a JAM.
- Mute Blacklist - Hear everyone except members on the Blacklist. You can still hear them if they are a member of a JAM, but not if they are the leader of the JAM.
- Allow Whitelist - Only hear yourself and music from players on the Whitelist. If a member is the leader of the JAM then you will hear ALL the members of the JAM.
- Mute All - effectively disables all MML Music.
None of the options will STOP currently playing music, but they will prevent you from hearing newly launched tunes.
- Arrow Buttons ">", "<" - Situated between the lists, these are used to move players between the lists. Click on a player to select them, then click the appropriate arrow button.
- Adjust HUD - Change the location of the on-screen status widget.
- Done - Make sure to click this to save your changes.
- Cancel - Abort changes and return to the game.
Once again I expect there will be some missed cases. I'm already aware of a few and will keep working to fill in the gaps.
A basic party system was created that does not rely on the vanilla teams system. A party can have up to eight players. Members can be removed or promoted to leader. A member may leave at will. If a member dies or they leave the game they are ejected from the party automatically. Members of a party cannot sleep.
Create a Party
Press "J" to create or open an existing party. If it's a new party you are the leader and your name will be at the top of the list once you click Create.
Join a Party
Parties are not secure at this time so anyone can join. Security will be added later. To join a party look for a player with music note placard over their head and Right Click on them. You will be presented with a dialog that gives you the options to join the leaders party
To Join the party Right-Click the leader.
Click Yes to join the party.
Welcome to the Group!
Group Members. Note the Party HUD upper left. The leaders placard has a star.
Leaders Party Dialog (J to open). Note the small buttons to the right of the 2nd member. The leader can (D)elete, or promote the member to (L)eader.
Members Party Dialog (J to open)
Playing Music while in a Party (Jam Session)
The purpose of the group play is to ensure players are synchronized when they play. The leader initiates the start of the session, but before that can happen all the other members need to queue up their parts. The process is the same as playing solo: Place the music in the instrument inventory, then while holding the instrument right-click the air. While in a group as a non-leader your placard will turn green, but you will not begin to play. Once everyone is ready, the leader just starts to play the usual way and all the member start to play.