Dynamic Surroundings alters the player’s visual and audible experience in Minecraft, and does not alter game mechanics. The player has a high degree of control over their experience, and modpack authors can customize biome and block effects based on their need.
NOTE: The JARs I build are published only to CurseForge. I cannot vouch for the JARs found on other sites because I do not know their origin.
Starting with v22.214.171.124, the HUDs have been moved into a separate mod called Dynamic Surroundings: HUDs. The HUDs mod will not run with earlier versions of Dynamic Surroundings so make sure you update your mods appropriately.
So where is OreCruncher?
Well, ever since the pandemic hit my work load has increased. I do software development professionally, so whenever I do have time I would rather spend it reading a good book or playing games with my kids. I do need that separation from software otherwise my brain would get stuck in 3rd gear. :)
I have been playing 1.15.2 as of late and miss my mods. The pack I am putting together makes use of BoP, TerraForged, YUNG's Better Caves/Better Mineshafts, and Quark. That combination reveals just how devoid the world is of sound. I am getting that itch to do something about it. :)
I haven't looked at 1.16.x+. I have read that Mojang did a major rework of areas of Minecraft that will have ripples into Dynamic Surroundings. Once Forge/Mojang stabilizes I can better assess what it will take. I do not want to get on another treadmill. As mentioned I am quite busy.
Lastly, spamming comments asking for updates is not productive. Some mod authors have disabled their comments because of this. I haven't taken that step as of yet. I would rather keep commenting available. So please be patient and do not spam.
Minecraft 1.14.4 Updates
I am continuing work migrating Dynamic Surroundings functionality to Minecraft 1.14.4. I will move on to 1.15.x when I am done. Here are links to the 1.14.4 mods:
- Dynamic Surroundings: SoundControl
- Dynamic Surroundings: MobEffects
- Dynamic Surroundings: Environs
- Dynamic Surroundings: Weather (planning)
- Better Rain mod by Wirsbo
- Aurora Rubealis by MrRube
- Presence Footsteps by Hurricaaane
- Complete list of attributions for sounds, textures, and shaders can be found in CREDITS
- Serene Seasons
- Stellar Sky
- Biomes O’Plenty
- Open Terrain Generator/Biome Bundle
- Sound Filters
- TrueType Font Replacement
- Fancy Block Particles
- Better Foliage
- Dynamic Surroundings: HUDs
Installing the mod is pretty easy! Just drop the JAR into the "mods" folder in your Minecraft Forge instance and startup your client.
The mod is not needed on the server so you can drop into an existing modpack and play on public servers without problem.
Interview with Amaxter!
A very good overview of the features (in French):
When precipitation occurs Dynamic Surroundings will generate a random storm intensity. This intensity will affect a variety of different things:
- The “density” of the downfall
- Volume of sound
- Background thunder
- Desert/Nether dust storms
Auroras trigger at night when a player is standing in a “polar” biome such as Taiga or Ice Field. The size, shape, and coloration can change per Aurora spawned.
Biomes can have specific sounds that play while standing in them. The sound played can be different night or day, rain or shine. Forests have birds chirping, beaches have waves, swamps have crickets…
Blocks can have a variety of effects, sound as well as visual. Examples:
- Lava can form lava jets on the surface which spout fire or sparks.
- Bubbles can rise from the bottom of lakes, oceans, and ponds.
- Soul Sand can trigger demonic laughter.
- Wooden planks can squeak when walked upon.
- Dust motes can fall from various blocks.
- Steam will rise from water because of nearby lava.
- Fireflies will spawn at night around various plants in temperate biomes.
- Waterfall splash effects/sounds for flowing water.
Presence Footsteps is integrated directly within Dynamic Surroundings. This feature generates different footstep sounds as the player walks and jumps. The sounds played are based upon the material that the player is standing on or moving through as well as the armor they are wearing.
Various effects, both sound and visual, can be triggered or suppressed:
- Damage/Heal pop offs. Whenever a mob gets hurt or is healed a pop-off particle will fly off around the mob indicating the amount of change.
- Weapon/tool swoosh. A sound gets played when swinging around a weapon or tool.
- Jump. A “huh” sound will play when jumping.
- Bow pull. A sound gets played when a player pulls back on a bow.
- Crafting sound. Plays when an item is crafted by the player.
- Heartbeat. When a players health drops to 40% or less Steve’s heart begins to beat loudly.
- Hunger. When a players food bar drops to 40% or less the stomach beings to rumble.
- Potion particle swirls. Can be turned off so they don’t interfere with the players field of view.
Dynamic Surroundings also adds in other miscellaneous features to assist the player:
- Ability to block any sound from the modpack from playing
- Ability to customize the sound volume of any sound in the modpack when played
- Configuration/resource pack system modpack authors can use to add/change biome, block, item, and dimension effects
- Client side command for doing calculations
- Speech bubbles that appear over a player's head when they type in chat (needs to be enabled)
- Random entity chat for entertainment (needs to be enabled)
Screenshots can be found in the Image tab!
Dynamic Surroundings is licensed MIT. This means that you are free to include in modpacks and there are no requirements about giving credit or linking pack to any page. However, if you feel compelled to give credit I won't mind. :)