Charset Storage Chests is a Charset module which adds chests. (The reason it's yet another project is best explained on the blog.)
Charset's chests provide numerous improvements over vanilla chests:
- They can be made out of any wood in the game! Yes, any wood - vanilla, Forestry, Biomes'o'Plenty, that mod I've never heard of, you name it. Just like the barrels! (The recolored texture also works with any resource pack - Faithful, Unity, you name it!)
- They can be placed next to each other or carefully linked together using sneak-clicking - just the way you want them to!
- They can be disconnected and reconnected using Wrenches!
- Their backend code is probably a fair bit cleaner.
- Minor tweaks, such as larger chests having a slower opening animation and deeper opening/closing sound over regular chests.
- Unlike existing "alternate chests" mods, this one retains full compatibility with other mods' crafting recipes - even ones which don't have the chest in the ore dictionary!
Other than that, they behave exactly like vanilla chests. (Improved trapped chests are planned - stay tuned!)
- This means that you need eight of the same wood type to make a chest. This may cause issues in edge cases while using autocrafting storage networks.
- Loot chests and village chests still generate using the "classic" vanilla-style chest. This may be changed at a later point in time.
- The texture generation algorithm for the chests is still a work in progress, so the specific coloring may change somewhat.
This version of the mod requires CharsetLib!
Project icon utilizes Unity textures by CyanideX.