Blockbuster is a Minecraft mod which helps you create Minecraft machinimas/roleplays series using NPC body actors. Besides providing basic recording and playback, it also features a ton of miscellaneous features which can help you to add some originality to your video, extending your possibilities beyond plain body acting (see Features section).
This mod works with Forge 184.108.40.20638 (or above) for Minecraft 1.12.2 (past versions available for 1.10.2 and 1.11.2).
Recording and playback is based on, and rewritten from scratch, Mocap mod by EchebKeso.
If you're interested in any aspect of Minecraft machinimas, roleplays or animations (creation, watching, voice acting and etc.), feel free to join the MachinimaHub. MachinimaHub is a community run Discord server about machinimas (and other forms of story-telling videos such as first-person roleplays and animations).
Beside that, MachinimaHub has lots of Blockbuster users, so if you need any help feel free to hop on the server!
Install Minecraft Forge, download the latest stable version of jar file for available Minecraft version. Also install following mods: McLib, and Metamorph. Put it in minecraft's
mods folder, and launch the game.
After that, Blockbuster mod should be installed and will appear in Minecraft's mods menu. If Blockbuster didn't appear in the mods menu, then something went wrong.
Blockbuster mod provides you with lots of features to create outstanding machinimas/roleplay series:
- Actors and player recording – the most important feature, as you won't be able to create a machinimas without it. With Blockbuster mod you can record yourself doing things and then playback it using an actor. Recording code has some limitations on which actions it can record. See Blockbuster Wiki for more information about limitations.
- Scenes – scenes allow to record and manage multiple actors in the world. They are stored in separate files (in world's
blockbuster/scenes/folder). With scenes, you can create templates, transfer to another worlds.
- Model block – besides actors, Blockbuster also adds a model block, allowing you placing down custom models or mobs as static props, which allows creating magnificient and immersive scenes. Besides placing them down, you can also hold those models or mobs in your hand.
- BB gun item – a special item which shoots projectiles on right click. This feature provides many different configuration options which can be used to create not only firearm combat scenes, but also special effects like avalanches, fake physics, crowd explosion and much more!
- Aperture support – Blockbuster mod has built-in Aperture integration. When Aperture is loaded, Blockbuster mod provides you with some features such as: ability to attach camera profiles to playback button, previewing playback while editing cameras and editing the player recording actions within the camera editor.
- Custom models – recording only player-like entities limits the originality of your machinimas. Blockbuster mod let's you create custom models using in-game model editor. Unleash your creativity with custom models!
- OBJ and MagicaVoxel models – beside custom models which can be created with in-game custom model editor, Blockbuster also supports OBJ models and MagicaVoxel models on top of custom JSON models!
- Morphs support – thanks to Metamorph's morph API, Blockbuster is capable of using any morphs which Metamorph provides to be used by Blockbuster actors. Including Blockbuster's provided morphs and Emoticons' morphs.
- Advanced morphs – beside registering custom models into morph system, Blockbuster also provides special morphs for advanced machinima creation:
- Image morph – a morph which allows to display an image (on a plane).
- Sequencer morph – a morph that switches between given morphs automatically, depending on delays set between multiple morphs.
- Record morph – a morph that allows to playback a player recording within the morph itself (useful with model block or body part system).
- Structure morph – a morph that allows to morph into a structure saved with structure block.
- Particle morph – a morph which allows to emit vanilla and morph particles.
- Snowstorm morph (sponsored by Spark Squared) — a morph which allows to create custom particle effects.
- Green screen features – Blockbuster adds glowing green blocks without any shading and an option to turn the sky fully green which makes it easier creating green screens for post processing of your machinimas. Beside that, Blockbuster has keying options which allow to create screenshots and videos with transparency, see this tutorial.
- Animated GIF support – now you can put reaction and meme GIFs onto Blockbuster models and just as images. Credit goes to MrCrayfish's furniture mod and DhyanB.
- Animations — with animated poses and image morph animations, you can add animation to your actors and sets.
- Minema compatability – thanks to frame-based player recording and cameras, you can convert your in-game machinimas to videos with a press of a button.
- In-game audio synchronization – if you have an .wav audio track, you can load it into Blockbuster, which will make actor and camera synchronization so much easier! Everytime you'll record an actor, play the scene or edit the camera, an audio waveform preview will be visible, which will make any kind of timing synchronizations a breeze!
- First-person playback — with new Target option of scene's replays, it's possible to make any player to be an actor. This could be useful for creation of reproducible first-person roleplays, or locking the player in a cinematic within adventure map.
- Speaks multiple languages – besides English, Blockbuster is also translated into Russian and Chinese thanks to Andruxioid and ycwei982, respectively.
This is change logs playlist. Almost every update (for exception of patches with bug fixes and minor features) comes with a change log video which showcases new features, and briefly shows how to use them.
Here is also a playlist of tutorials directly or indirectly related to Blockbuster/Minecraft machinima creation. Make sure to check it out, as it consists out of tutorials such as basics of Blockbuster mod, how to import OBJ models, etc.
This playlist consists out of videos that I've created a bunch of machinimas during Blockbuster mod testings and just when I felt like. Feel free to check out my crazy videos.
Here is also a playlist of 700+ community made videos with Blockbuster mod:
If you're interested in this project, you might as well follow me on any of social media accounts listed below:
Also, I would really appreciate if you will support me on Patreon!
If you found a bug, or this mod crashed your game, make sure to check this compatibility table and incompatible mod list page. The most frequent issue people encounter is that they didn't install the compatible versions of my mods. Or updated only one mod while using older version of my other mods.
If the versions of the mod are correct, then you can report a bug or a crash to me either on issue tracker, or on my Discord server. Please, make sure to attach a crash log (pastebin please) and description of a bug or crash and the way to reproduce it. Thanks!