Kerbal Attachment System (KAS)
This mod is another extension to the EVA duty of the kerbonauts. Now they can link different vessels together. Why linking? Well, how about transferring resources without docking? Or maybe two vessels need to stay together while not docked. Even more, this mod has active parts that can work as winches!
A great variety of links is supported:
- Rigid. It's basically a simple strut, but kerbals can set it up or remove being EVA. Bring some of these things on your Mun base and reinforce the structure!
- Rigid unlocked. It's still the same strut, but the joints are unlocked. It allows the vessels to move, while not getting too close or too far to/from each other.
- Active rigid. Do you need to tow a vessel? If yes, then you need a tow bar. Only in KAS you can find advanced models of tow bars that can assist steering. Greater towing speed means more fun!
- Flexible. It's an elastic cable that can stretch at some extent while still forcing the vessel to stay together.
- Active flexible. It's still a cable, but now its distance can be changed either via an EVA kerbal, or via a remote control GUI. Basically, it's an electric winch.
- Resource transfer. Zero structure force in exchange to an ability to have some free length. Link the vessels up to the maximum distance and move the resources via a convenient GUI (a way more convenient than the stock one!).
Almost any type allows remotely docking the vessels. Once docked, the vessels become a single base where the stock game functionality can work.
- VIDEO: Active tow bar usage (TB-60 part).
- VIDEO: Winch demonstration (W-1 part).
- VIDEO: Refueling a vessel (RTS-1 part).
- VIDEO: Big movie of making Minmus station using the older version of KAS.
- IMAGES: KAS showroom.
* The videos above were created using the pre-release versions of KAS. Real appearance can differ.
You can support this and the other of my mods on Patreon. This is where I post my ideas, prototypes and the features development progress.
Other useful mods for EVA
If you want doing EVA comfortably, you really should consider adding these mods as well:
- Kerbal Inventory System (KIS). Now you can build and upgrade vessels in EVA!
- Easy Vessel Switch (EVS). No more guessing how to switch to "that vessel" - simply point and click!
- Surface Mounted Lights. Too dark for EVA on the other side of the moon? Problem solved with these ambient lights!
How to install
- Install and run CKAN.
- Search for "Kerbal Attachment System" or just "KAS", then install the mod.
- Occasionally run CKAN client to update KAS (and other mods) to the latest version.
- If you follow this path, then all the KAS dependencies will be updated automatically. It may save you a lot of time during the update.
- Download the ZIP archive:
- If you have an older version of the mod in your game, you must delete all the old files first! Do not just copy over, this will likely result in compatibility issues.
- Unzip the release archive into the game's
- Note, that names of the folders must be exactly like in the archive or the mod won't work.
- The release archive contains the minimum versions of the required dependencies:
CommunityCatgeoryKit. If your game has better versions, do not overwrite!
- Verify the installation: the mod's
LICENSE.mdfile must be located at