This addon will mute the annoying sounds of WoW. If you are updating from version 8.1 or lower please read the 8.2 section as the installation instructions have changed.
Patch 8.2 broke the way this addon originally worked and so has had to be reworked.
This addon is now installed into the Interface > Addons directory just like any other addon.
I'm still working on migrating it to the new format and as such theres ~3000 sounds that will not be muted compared to the older versions, but I'll get to these soon. Most of them are weapon swing sounds.
8845 sounds are currently muted which includes almost all the mount, spell and environment sounds of previous versions.
You can safely delete the old versions installation folder "Sound" in your World of Warcraft directory.
This version only works on Retail.
Patch 8.1 changed the folder structure in preparation for the different Classic and Retail clients.
For this to work post 8.1, simply move the "Sound" folder located in the World of Warcraft folder into the "_retail_" folder.
Initially I used to take requests but due to the increased number of requests, the difficulty of finding certain sound names and the fact I have far less free time these days I can't keep that up anymore. Sorry ! :(
You're welcome to post in the comments, other users may be able to help you find them.
Basic List: Please note this isn't a complete list, it's a small sample to give an idea of whats been muted.
- Players: All race combat grunts as well as emote sounds like train and worgen sniffs. All footsteps.
- Classes: Select sounds like Path of Frost, Fan of Knives, mage armors & portals, hunter pet calls, shaman shields and spell cast fizzles.
- Mechanical Mounts: Choppers, Flying Machines, Goblin Trikes, Mechastriders and Rockets.
- Biological Mounts: Summon roars, mount special, idle and footstep sounds for most mounts. Dismount sound also included.
- Battle Pets: Idle sounds like Lil'XT, Lil'Ragnaros, Singing Sunflower and Thor.
- Hunter/Mage/Warlock Pets: Creature combat sounds, footsteps, flying and idle sounds. Mage elemental loops also included.
- Voice Acting: World bosses, Rhonin & Kalecgos city speech and Headless Horseman speech.
- Toys: Piccolo of the Flaming Fire, Train Sets and Brewfest Mole Machine.
- Daily Hubs: Isle of Thunder, Isle of Quel'Danas and Tol'Barad.
- Misc: City clock sounds, ethereal vendor hubs, waterfalls, rivers, beaches, fires and fireworks.
- Battlegrounds: Victory/Defeat, Alert and Herald sounds.
- Instances: Select boss speech and combat sounds, loops sounds like the beating heart from SoO. All instance portals.
- Creatures: Kovok, Elemental loops and deaths.
- Tradeskills: Alchemy, Leatherworking, Engineering, Blacksmithing, Tailoring and Jewelcrafting sounds.