Cursed Walking - A Modern Zombie Apocalypse
Some versions of this modpack need Optifine for shaders, others do not, and some cannot run shaders without crashing. Check the change log of the version you want to play to see these details.
What is it?
Cursed Walking is a Minecraft Zombie Apocalypse modpack.
What makes it different?
1) Cursed Walking is one of few zombie apocalypse modpacks that are available for 1.20.1 and 1.19.2. The vast majority of related modpacks are only available for the very outdated 1.12.2 version of Minecraft.
2) The modpack is regularly being updated with new content. Version 5 is out, adding more mods suggested by all of you in the comments on this page and on the above Youtube video. Feel free to make suggestions, as they might make it into the next version!
3) There are two difficulty types to choose from, so the modpack can be enjoyable for newcomers and pros alike.
4) Cursed Walking is very customizable. You have the option to change the spawn rate of cities, choose which mobs spawn, toggle certain special features for zombies on and off, and more!
There's lots of zombie apocalypse modpacks out there. Decimation, Winter Zombies, and CraftZ are just to name a few. All of these offer a lot of mods and resource packs to make Minecraft as apocalypse like as possible. However, this comes at one major trade off.
They are only playable on OLD versions of Minecraft. We're talking 1.12.2 or older. Back in that era the Nether looked like barf, caves were merely holes in the ground, and the Warden was unheard of.
So naturally, seeing this problem, I set out to fix it. And hence, this modpack was born.
Become a Patron to support the development of this modpack, and have access to a custom map for this modpack (currently a wip)
Join the Discord Server to chat, ask questions, or learn more about the modpack's updates!
Details about difficulty level:
Normal Difficulty: This is the easiest difficulty level for the Cursed Walking modpack, and is the difficulty level present in all versions of the modpack except where stated otherwise. The health system is normal, you don't have to worry about thirst and temperature, and zombies don't infect you. While this is the easiest version, it still is challenging so be careful!
Hard Difficulty: This version builds upon the Normal Difficulty version and adds more mods to make surviving harder. It is denoted by the "(Hard)" at the end of the name of a version of the modpack. While playing with this difficulty level, you will have to heal yourself with bandages; normal healing is disabled. There is also a 25% chance to get infected with the zombie virus if a zombie hits you. The infection will kill you in five minutes. To cure the infection, eat a golden apple. More zombies will spawn during the day, and zombies can mine blocks.
Custom: A custom difficulty preset made to work with the zombie apocalypse map I am working on. It is only available for the 1.16.5 version of the modpack. In terms of actual difficulty, it sits somewhere between Normal and Hard Difficulty. While this was made specifically for the map I am working on, it can be played without the map just fine.
How to play the Cursed Walking modpack:
1. To get started, go to the files tab and look at the different versions of the Cursed Walking modpack that are available. More details on the differences between these is available in the above spoiler.
2. Next, start the modpack. Once the Minecraft launcher opens up, check how much RAM you have allocated and make sure to set it to at least 4GB, preferably 6GB. This modpack is pretty RAM demanding, and if you are playing with shaders or at a higher render distance you may need to allocate up to 8GB of RAM. Watch this video if you are unsure how to allocate RAM. If you are experiencing lag spikes in game, it is most likely because you have not allocated enough RAM.
3. If you are playing single player, create a new world. In the world creation menu, you have the option to enable city generation by clicking the button at the top right that says "Cities." In this menu you can choose from a variety of different city presents, or customize city generation manually.
4. To enable the resource packs that are available with this modpack, go to settings>resourcepacks then move the resource packs that are available on the left, to the right, by clicking on the arrow.
Old Version Showcases:
A showcase of version 4 of the modpack below:
A showcase of version 2 of the modpack below.
A showcase of version 1 of the modpack below.
Some good shaders:
(Looks good while also having the best FPS. Also highly customizable)
(A good fit for a zombie apocalypse. Decreases saturation while increasing fog)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Q: I'm having (x) problem with the modpack! What do I do?
A: Read the above spoiler on how to play the Cursed Walking modpack and make sure you have followed each step correctly. If you are still having issues, join my Discord Server and check out the FAQ there. If you are STILL having issues, feel free to ask me in the "help channel".
Q: I am trying to play the Cursed Walking modpack on a server but there is a crash/bug/issue.
A: The Cursed Walking modpack is currently not multiplayer compatible out of the box, so expect issues if you are playing this modpack on a server. However, if you are playing this modpack with Scalacube hosting, the modpack should work as intended. A good alternative, if you don't want to use a server, is the Essential mod, and it works with this modpack.
Q: Are there server files available for this modpack?
A: Yes, but I did not make them so I cannot attest to their reliability. They are available in a pinned message in the help channel on my discord server.
Q: Optifine/Oculus is crashing/freezing the modpack; what do I do?
A: Please read the changelog of the version you are trying to play. In some versions, Optifine and/or Oculus does not work, or requires certain mods to be removed so it can work.
Q: I have some other question/issue/comment!
A: Let me know in the comments here, or join my discord server for a faster response.
- Big thanks to MarbledNull for the title!
- Thank you to Local Bug Exterminator and other helpers on my Discord server for assisting in developing the modpack and answering questions.
- Also, big thanks to my team who is helping me develop a Zombie Apocalypse map for this modpack!
- And thank you to all of you who have made suggestions, let me know about errors, etc!