Regarding 1.19.3 and going forward: Many changes were made to the game with the release of 1.19.3, and Mojang has stated that they may bring new features in "patch" (1.x.x) releases now, and not just "minor" (1.x) releases. As such, please avoid using this mod on versions it does not specify it supports, as it could lead to crashes and (possible?) damage to world files (depends on the Minecraft update).
This Minecraft mod reduces world size by discarding unused chunks.
: Please back-up your world if you are planning on using this mod on an already existing world. This mod shouldn't cause any issues, but it is still a good idea to back-up worlds, just in case.
How to use this mod:
- Go to the world selection screen
- Select a world of your choice
- Click on the "Edit" button
- Click on the "Optimize World" button
- There should be a checkbox called "Remove uninhabited chunks". Check it it.
- Click on "Create backup and Load". This will back-up your world just in case something goes wrong.
- That's it. It's best to also verify everything went to plan and that no data loss took place.
A showcase of removing unused chunks
This video shows how the mod can be used to remove "uninhabited" chunks to reduce world size: