The port to 1.18.2 (and up) versions of minecraft is well underway - however it's not available yet. For now we'd recommend using the 1.12.2 release of BuildCraft, although some features are missing (notably robots and the builder and filler). If you'd like to use either of those then you can use the 1.7.10 releases instead. For somewhat regular updates please see the roadmap page on buildcraft's website.
A backport to 1.10.2 (or 1.11, 1.13, 1.14, 1.15, 1.16, or 1.17) is not currently planned. The reasons for this are outlined here, here, here, here, here, here and here.. Asking us is unlikely to make us reconsider - however, BuildCraft is open source and you're welcome to do it yourself if you really need buildcraft for any of those versions.
Feel free to join our discord if you want to chat/hangout or have an issue with BC: https://discord.gg/v4geqgA
The major feature of BuildCraft is the pipes. Pipes are used to transport items, fluids, and mechanical energy between inventories/machines. There are many different types of pipes all with unique functions, including Wooden, Cobblestone, Stone, Sandstone, Iron, Gold, Diamond, Emerald and Obsidian. Pipes can be combined with Pipe Sealant to allow them to make Fluid Pipes that can transport liquids or with Redstone to make Kinesis Pipes to allow them to transport mechanical energy.
BuildCraft 7 is a great BuildCraft release, bringing additions and improvements in almost every area of the mod. Here are some highlights:
- Modularization is back, for those pack developers who need a smaller subset of our functionality.
- A fresh, new look by CyanideX! (Excluding robots. Those have, sadly, been delayed - due to time issues - but will make it to a later Stable release.)
- Optimizations to fillers, builders, pipes, robots and other parts of the mod.
- Pipes: round robin sorting in diamond pipes, weighting in diamond fluid pipes, massive stripes pipes powers, improved pipe rendering and colors!
- Recipes: more expensive lists, less expensive pipe plugs
- Silicon: New Assembly Table and Integration Table, ACT replaced by a CraftPacket-inspired Packager+Stamper system
- Factory: Tanks get comparators now!
- Robotics: New Zone Planner, improved trigger/action logic, fancy robot animations.
- Paintbrushes! For some reason.
- Tons of other little improvements and additions that would take up too much space.
BuildCraft 7 has some changes you might want to watch out for:
- Generally, your world and map will work fine and upgrade properly bar a few exceptions. However, downgrading is impossible.
- If you have any custom config options, the config format and filename changed for both BC and Compat, so look into those.
- The Quarry is now in the Builders module, as opposed to BC 3.x and below when it was in the Factory module.
- Robots now only pull items and fluids out from wooden or emerald pipes.
- Drop Items in Pipe has been combined with Accept Items.
- The Crafter robot has been removed as it was deemed to be useless.
- Flower harvesting from Robots has been removed due to bugs it caused.
- Lava in the Combustion Engine doesn't burn (!?) anymore. Use the Stirling Engine.
- The Advanced Crafting Table is deprecated, but not removed yet. You might want to upgrade your setups.
- You can no longer put Lists inside Lists. Listception.