Complementary is a Minecraft Java Edition shader pack based on Capt Tatsu's "BSL Shaders". The goal of Complementary is being good at everything. Performance, gameplay, beauty, compatibility; you name it. Complementary will try to provide you the most issueless experience possible within the limitations of Optifine's shader pipeline. It runs reasonably fast, supports all GPUs and drivers, works well with mods that no one thought a shader pack could be compatible with, fixes problems that no other shader packs adressed before, doesn't disturb you with excessive effects, and most importantly, it looks good according to the users. If you're wondering about what's changed over BSL, you can check out the complete changelog from BSL to Complementary here: https://justpaste.it/2z91q
Something to note is that this shader isn't installed the exact same way as other shaders. So it's highly recommended that you read the installation.
(Note 1: First, don't forget to install Optifine, and unzip the "Complementary_v3.XX_[UNZIP_ME]" file you downloaded from here.)
(Note 2: If you're playing on the latest version and without mods, you can watch this video by DanielPlays instead of reading what's below.)
Path 1: If you are NOT using big mods AND you are playing on 1.13.2 or higher:
1) Select the ComplementaryResources as your resource pack (for many extra effects and fixes)
2) If you want to, you can use a different PBR resource pack instead of ComplementaryResources
3) Select the ComplementaryShaders as your shader pack
Path 2: If you ARE using big mods, OR you're on 1.12.2 or below, OR you just want more fps:
1) Completely ignore the ComplementaryResources
2) Select the ComplementaryShaders as your shader pack
3) Go to Shader Options and click "Profile" on the top right to enable the "Compatibility Mode"
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Question 1: I'm having problems with mods, what should I do?
Answer: Please check out the known mod issue fixes: https://justpaste.it/60cgu
- Question 2: Water and/or stained glass looks wrong, what should I do?
Answer: That's a bug caused by old graphics drivers. All you need to do to fix the issue is updating your graphics drivers.
- Question 3: The sky looks wrong, what should I do?
Answer: Go to "Options" -> "Video Settings" -> "Details" and enable the "Sky".
- Question 4: It says the resource pack is made for a newer Minecraft version, what should I do?
Answer: If you are playing on 1.13 or a newer version, just ignore that message and keep on going. There won't be any problems. But if you are playing on 1.12 or a lower version, you can't use the resource pack. Please delete/ignore the resource pack enable the Compatibility Mode in "Shader Options" -> "Profile" on the top left.