The Midnight will start downloading in 5 seconds...
STILL DOWNLOADING MANUALLY??
Join over 10 million players who use the CurseForge app!
The Midnight is a dark and dreary place of eternal night.
The Midnight is a mod being developed by Cryptic Mushroom that adds a new, mysterious and scary dimension to explore. It is a dimension of darkness; the only light comes from crystals and the various life of the dimension. You may travel willingly to this dimension, though you may find yourself being unwillingly dragged into this strange and hostile world...
🚪 Enter the Midnight
The dimension can be entered through a rift. These have changed in design in some versions, so specific instructions can be found below:
Minecraft 1.12.2 and 1.14.4: To enter, you will need to find a glowing, red rift. These will spawn randomly during the night both above ground and in caves. Rifts are often accompanied by unfriendly figures known as rifters.
Minecraft 1.15.2: To enter, you will need to find a red heap of mass in the overworld. At nighttime, the portal will activate, and you will be able to traverse into the Midnight. Though before you go into The Midnight, make sure to be prepared! The Midnight does not welcome newcomers.
❓ What's next?
You might've noticed that we've been dormant for quite some time. Unless you've been on our Discord server, almost all of our other platforms have been quiet and lacking activity. During this time, however, we've been hard at work rewriting the entire mod from scratch! Taking after the designs from the original development team, the next version of the Midnight is bound to be the most stable and grounded release yet, and for modern platforms! This will take some more time, though, so we ask for your patience as we iron out the last parts of the rewrite release. If you are interested in chatting with us directly about the progress of the mod, we encourage you to join our Discord server, read our #about-us channel, and ask us any additional questions you might have in #chat.
🕑 Regarding Previous Versions
To address the elephant in the room, yes, we are completely dropping support for all previous versions of the Midnight. This includes the 1.15.2 releases (which are currently the latest versions available). This is done in part to allow us to focus on the rewrite without needing to worry about old bugs. 0.5.12 will continue to remain the last version of pre-rewrite Midnight.
Moving forward, the Midnight has opted to continue development as a closed-source project, meaning that the source code is no longer publicly available. However, the source code is still available for the pre-rewrite versions of the Midnight on GitLab. That code still is, and will continue to be, licensed under the GNU General Public Licence v3.0, so you are free to do whatever you want with that old code given that it follows the licensing of that license.
- If you want to use this source code, we simply ask that you include a link back to the Midnight's mod page.
- A common misconception is that since the repo is labeled as GPLv3, the assets (textures, sounds, etc.) are covered by the license as well. However, this is not the case. You do not have permission to use any of our assets, old or new. A notice in the repo saying that the assets are ARR does not exist, and that is merely an oversight on our part in the past.
- If you are a programmer and want to work with us to resolve a known issue that you have expertise in, please join our Discord server and help us out!
The Midnight would not be possible without all of the effort put in by each person who worked on it. While every individual may not be listed on the mod platform's "members" sidebar, we still want to acknowledge and honor the efforts of everyone who worked on this mod.
🍄 Cryptic Mushroom
The team behind the Midnight is Cryptic Mushroom. We are a group of passionate developers who love working on projects together and have interests in exploring development and design beyond their current scopes. If you would like to know more about us, feel free to join our Discord server and read the #about-us channel, or ask us questions directly in #chat! Team members are listed below, sorted by seniority, along with known links to their profiles and roles in the team.
- Cipher Zero X - Founder, Concept and Aesthetic Designer
- Jonathing - Co-founder, Programmer, Gameplay Designer, Music Composer, Service Maintainer
- Lachney - Music Composer, Sound Designer, Server Administrator
- FlashFyre - Programmer, World Generation Designer, Texturer
- 123wdog - Modeler, Gameplay Designer
- IcyCrystal - Texturer
⚙️ Modding Legacy
The Midnight is possible with helping hands from Modding Legacy. We are not partnered development teams, but each member has generously lent their help to us when we needed it most. Team members are listed below, sorted as on their website (moddinglegacy.com), along with known links to their profiles and roles in their team.
- Bailey - Lead Programmer, Modeler
- Lachney - Music Composer, Sound Designer, Server Admin
- Silver_David - Lead Programmer, Texture Artist
- Jonathing - Programmer, Music Composer, Service Maintainer
Finally, the Midnight thanks those who have helped us along the way to get to the current state it is in now. It was an especially difficult time during the Midnight's early rewriting process, and those who helped contribute to the project at that time are greately appreciated. Contributors are listed below, sorted by oldest to newest contributions, along with known links to their profiles and the type of contributions in the project. If you are not listed below and know you have contributed to past versions of the mod or your name/link is incorrect, please let us know in the Discord server as soon as possible!
- Shadew - Former Team Member, Programmer, Gameplay Designer, Sound Designer
- bagu_chan - Former Team Member, Programmer, Texturer
- EpicNecromancer - Texturer
- Midnite_Moon - Texturer
🎁 Former Developers and Contributors
The Midnight's humble origins are found at MMD's SpookyJam 2018. It was a huge collaborative effort with tons of different ideas, coding, and textures pitched in by varying individuals who came together to build something great. We wouldn't be where we are today without the help of those here today and those who worked on this mod in the past. While the project is not as open as it used to be in the past, we still honor the former developers and contributors of past versions. They are listed below, sorted by seniority (as good as known), along with known links to their profiles and roles in the project. If you are not listed below and know you have contributed to past versions of the mod or your name/link is incorrect, please let us know in the Discord server as soon as possible!
- gegy1000 - Programmer
- Martacus - Programmer
- arthurbambous - Programmer
- Corail31 - Programmer
- Endergized - Texturer
- Five (Paradiscal) - Texturer
- MCVinnyq - Texturer, Modeler
- ZombieEnderman5 - Contributor
- veesus mikhel heir - Contributor
- Terenx - Contributor