RATS REQUIRES LLIBRARY!!! DOWNLOAD IT HERE!!!
DONATE TO OUR PATREON!
Rats is a mod that adds, obviously, rats.
Rats are small creatures that spawn at night in the overworld, just like monsters. They are usually afraid of players and will run from them on sight. They can become quite a nuisance as rats are able to dig through wooden walls, steal food and seeds from chests, and destroy crops. Additionally, rats can sneak through fences and navigate through doors.
In order to protect one's lively hood from rat attacks and infestations, they can craft a rat trap, like so:
These and traditional defenses against rats, like stone houses and Ocelots can help protect against rodent infestations.
Another important aspect of Rats is cheese. Cheese is made by pouring milk into a cauldron, like so:
Asides from being a good food source, cheese is also used to tame wild rats, and for a plethora of rat-related crafting recipes. This cheese making process is highly configurable, just like rat behavior, and can be disabled and substituted with cheese from other mods processes. One can tame a wild rat first by cornering it, then by dropping cheese on the ground near it. After 10-15 feedings, the full rat will trust the player and become tame. Tame rats' inventories can be accessed by interacting with them, and one can place rats on their head and shoulder by sneak-clicking them. In the rat inventory screen, players can view information about their rat(such as its gender or its status) and command the rat to do other behaviors.
Current Rat commands include:
- Wander - Rat will move around similar to wild behavior.
- Stay Here - Rat will sit down and not move.
- Follow Me - Rat will follow its owner like a wolf or ocelot.
- Transport Items - Interacting with a rat with a Cheese Staff(Cheese + Stick in crafting table) will bind it to the rat. Clicking on an inventory(chest, furnace, other mod's machines, etc) will open a GUI to mark that inventory for the rat to take items from, or to deposit items in. Once both the rat has a marked deposit inventory and pickup inventory, it will begin transporting items from one to another.
- Harvest- The rat will search the local area for grass blocks(to break into seeds) or for mature crops to harvest. Using a Cheese Staff to set a deposit inventory functions just like the transport items command. If the Rat has a Lumberjack or Miner upgrade, it will seek out trees or select ores to harvest.
- Gather items - The rat will search the local area for dropped items of any kind(craft whitelist or blacklist upgrades to limit their choices). Using a Cheese Staff to set a deposit inventory functions just like the transport items command.
- Hunt Prey - The rat will hunt small or hostile mobs. Be aware that by default, non-upgraded rats are quite weak and easy for monsters to kill. For mob drops, using a Cheese Staff to set a deposit inventory functions just like the transport items command.
The rat inventory screen also allows players to access the held item of the rat, along with giving it a helmet, banner or headgear to equip, and managing its upgrades.
There are a multitude of upgrades that can be crafted for rats, ranging from simple health and speed boosts, to massive strength and armor gains, along with new abilities, like cooking food and carrying entire stacks of items. Most of these upgrades can be created with cheese and diamonds.
To breed rats, and to create new colors, one must craft a rat cage, like so:
Players can place rats in cages by first putting them on their shoulder then by interacting with the cage. They can be freed from the cage by simply interacting with it again. Rats of opposing genders in the same cage will breed as long as a Rat Breeding Lantern is placed in the cage. Their pups have a chance of having new color mutations not present in their parents. Rat cages can also be decorated with various rat cage decorations.
Tamed Rats can be made to do a variety of things, but one of the most important of these is auto-crafting.
One can start the autocrafting process by giving a tamed rat the Crafting Upgrade, and placing the rat on top of a Rat Crafting Table, made like so:
The first slot on the left is for the item to be crafted. If the item has multiple recipes, the arrows in the middle can help the user decide which recipe to use. The red slots indicate what items are required in the recipe, and the middle 9 items are inputs(which can be funneled in using hoppers or transport rats). The rat on the top left indicates weather or not a crafting rat is present above the table, else wise their will be no progress.
Caution must be taken when around wild rats, for some have been reported to carry deadly diseases. These rats have bright red glowing eyes and have a mangy, green fur. They are hostile on sight and will make aggravated noises when they encounter players.
Rumor tells of an rare, evil Illager who has mastered the ability to control rats with his Rat Flute. This Pied Piper controls a small array of vicious rats under his musical spell, which he uses to attack his enemies. All those who venture into roofed forests and other magical biomes should beware.
An even wilder rumor tells of a far off land, Ratlantis. This hostile land full of legendary, dangerous creatures can supposedly be accessed by gaining a magical token, an extremely rare drop from a rat. Those who tell tales of Ratlantis return with knowledge of extremely powerful Rat Upgrades. But this of course is just legend... unless?
There are other features included in rats that are complementary to the main focus of the mod, the rats. These include special clothing like the Chef's Toque, which is used in an upgrade recipe, and assorted vegetables which is a secret crafting ingredient for Chef Rats. There is also support for Tinker's Construct, allowing players to make weapons and tools out of cheese, and support for Just Enough Items and CraftTweaker for Cheesemaking and for Chef rats. Finally, there is support for Thaumcraft aspects and for Chisel to craft unique decorative blocks known as Marbled Cheese. For those who are no fun at parties, many of the mod's more "out there" features can be configured in the expansive in-game config.