IMPORTANT: Canvas requires Minecraft 1.14.4 and Fabric API 0.3.0 build 200 or higher.
If you cannot use versions that recent, then earlier versions should still work, however they will not have many of the newer features and bug fixes.
- Shader support for item rendering is work-in-progress and disabled by default. It mostly works except for directional in-world lighting. This will eventually be fixed.
- Frame rate can drop significantly with HD Lightmap enabled in scenes with mixed translucency (snow, ice, water.)
- For all other issues, see the issues log.
What is Canvas?
Canvas is a rendering library for Fabric mods that offers visual improvements for players, and also implements an API mod authors can use to implement rendering effects that would not be possible with the vanilla renderer.
Hardware Requirements and Performance
Canvas targets moderate to high-end hardware but should work on any PC that supports OpenGL 2.1 and GLSL shaders.
Canvas will almost certainly improve chunk-loading performance vs Vanilla Minecraft. Frame rates may be better or slightly worse, depending on what is being rendered.
Current Stable Features for Players
- Faster chunk loading
- Improved lighting
- Hardcore darkness (terrain only)
- Less foggy fog
Current Stable Features for Mod Authors
- Block models are dynamic when chunks are rebuilt - not necessary to pre-bake all variants
- Item models are dynamic - not necessary to pre-bake all variants
- Emissive materials
- Improved lighting for models with non-cubic geometry
- Multi-sprite materials for borders and blended/composite texturing effects
- Per-quad control over render layer, lighting, shaders and conditions (see below)
Experimental Features (breaking changes are likely)
- Material Shaders - mod authors can define custom shaders for model materials
- Conditional Materials - materials that are only rendered when a global condition is true
- Apply shaders and emissive effects during item rendering
I test Canvas on OSX, Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04.2. I do not have the means to test on many hardware/OS combinations so bug reports are appreciated. Please include full logs.