CurseForge

2197 - Suggestions to improve Namespace management for a projects localization

What is the enhancement in mind?

Currently there seems to be a problem when deleting a namespace from a projects localization. This seems to result in phrases becoming orphaned (so that they aren't overwritten by subsequent imports) and the namespace becoming locked (so that it can't be re-added without ticketting for help).

It would make sense if namespace changes result in the phrase list automatically updating. That is, say I delete a namespace, then every phrase belonging to that namespace could automatically be either deleted or, better yet, moved to a special orphan list (that would neither be exported or visible to translators). Because the old namespace would no longer exist or be referenced, it could then be freed up completely such that project managers could re-add it at a later date.

Please provide any additional information below.

This suggestion is a result of the follow (resolved) ticket:-
http://www.curseforge.com/projects/curseforge/tickets/2195-unable-to-re-add-a-deleted-namespace/

User When Change
Torhal Jul 24, 2013 at 20:12 UTC
Torhal Nov 09, 2011 at 16:31 UTC
Torhal Jun 14, 2011 at 17:08 UTC Changed component from None to Component #196
Torhal Jun 03, 2011 at 17:00 UTC Changed assigned to from Kaelten to prencher
AudioX Feb 16, 2010 at 16:51 UTC Changed description type from Plain Text to BBCode

Changed name from Improve Namespace management for a projects localization to Suggestions to improve Namespace management for a projects localization

Changed description:
- What is the enhancement in mind? How should it look and feel?
+ [b]What is the enhancement in mind?[/b]

  Currently there seems to be a problem when deleting a namespace from a projects localization. This seems to result in phrases becoming orphaned (so that they aren't overwritten by subsequent imports) and the namespace becoming locked (so that it can't be re-added without ticketting for help).
  It would make sense if namespace changes result in the phrase list automatically updating. That is, say I delete a namespace, then every phrase belonging to that namespace could automatically be either deleted or, better yet, moved to a special orphan list (that would neither be exported or visible to translators). Because the old namespace would no longer exist or be referenced, it could then be freed up completely such that project managers could re-add it at a later date.

- Please provide any additional information below.
+ [b]Please provide any additional information below.[/b]
  This suggestion is a result of the follow (resolved) ticket:-
  http://www.curseforge.com/projects/curseforge/tickets/2195-unable-to-re-add-a-deleted-namespace/
AudioX Feb 16, 2010 at 16:49 UTC Create

You must login to post a comment. Don't have an account? Register to get one!

  • 1 comment
  • Avatar of organizedevolution organizedevolution May 02, 2010 at 22:19 UTC - 0 likes

    I ran into this issue earlier today (or maybe it was yesterday - it's still the same day for me, haha), and it certainly had me scratching my head for a while.  But I was able to fix the issue without opening a ticket.
    In my case, the namespace I removed was the only one in the project (added before I knew what I was doing), so perhaps that's the difference (dunno).  All but two of my addon's phrases were created in the deleted namespace.  After deleting the namespace, I was still able to see the "orphaned" phrases, as you call them, on the phrases page, but they were not being added to any of the loc files by the packager, with no indication what was going wrong.  Thank goodness that I forgot to put two of the files into the namespace, because that's what led me down the path to the solution (these keys WERE being added to the localization file, so that really narrowed down where to start looking for the problem).

    Normally, when you look at the phrases page, there is a column for Namespace.  I suppose that when there are no namespaces, that column is removed from the phrases page entirely.  So while I was able to see the phrases, I was not able to see that they were still in the deleted namespace, because the namespace column was no longer there!

    I readded the namespace, and then I was able to edit the phrases.  All that it took (at least for me - ymmv) was editing each phrase and setting the namespace back to the default namespace, then saving.  I'm not sure if this will work for the [probably] more common case of deleting one of many namespaces, but....this was my experience, fwiw.

    Last edited May 02, 2010 by organizedevolution
  • 1 comment

Facts

Last updated
Jul 24, 2013
Reported
Feb 16, 2010
Status
Declined - We decided not to take action on this ticket.
Type
Enhancement - A change which is intended to better the project in some way
Priority
Medium - Normal priority.
Votes
0

Reported by

Possible assignees